Caramel Apple Spice Cupcakes w/ Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing
By Chef Steffani Adaska
1 1/2 cups AP (all purpose) flour
1 Tablespoon apple pie spice mix (see recipe below)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup sweet cream butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 egg, room temperature
1 Granny Smith apple peeled, cored, small dice
For the Icing:
1- 8 oz package of cream cheese, room temperature
3 Tablespoons sweet cream butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon of ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons heavy cream, room temperature
For the Caramel Drizzle:
8 caramel candies, unwrapped
1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift together, flour, apple pie spice mix, baking powder & salt. Set aside.
- Cream together softened butter and sugar until light & fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add vanilla, milk and egg. Mix 1 minute. Scrape sides of bowl.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients medium/low speed.
- Gently fold in apples.
- Pour into lined cupcake tins about 2/3 full.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- At medium/high speed, whip all ingredients until smooth and light, about 5 minutes. Frost cooled cupcakes.
- Over medium heat, mix together caramels and cream in small sauce pan until melted and smooth. Cool slightly. Drizzle over iced cupcakes.
*Apple Pie Spice Mix
1/4 cup ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
Mix all ingredients together. Store in airtight jar in a cool, dark place.