Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms on Ciabatta
Chef Steffani Adaska
NH Mushroom Company has THE BEST mushrooms. Their King Oysters are beautiful, meaty and make a great appetizer on grilled ciabatta bread.
- 8 King oyster mushrooms
- ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- loaf ciabatta bread
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Italian parsley for garnish
· Preheat grill to medium-high heat
· Wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth to clean
· Trim off ends of mushrooms
· Cut into approximately ¼ inch wide lengthwise strips
· Brush mushroom with olive oil on both sides and season with sea salt and pepper
· Oil your grill grates. Place mushroom slices on grill to cook, turning once to cook other side. Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side. Move to indirect heat to continue slow cooking while preparing bread.
· Slice ciabatta in half lengthwise. Then cut each half into 1-inch slices.
· grill the ciabatta slices, cut side down until they are golden and crisp, about 2 minutes.
· Working quickly, drizzle the toasted sides with extra-virgin olive oil. Rub the garlic cloves over the grilled bread (it’s important to do this while the bread is still hot or warm, otherwise the garlic won’t melt into the bread.)
· Top grilled ciabatta with sliced mushrooms, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and chopped Italian parsley
· Serve immediately while warm.
· A hearty red wine is a great match for this appetizer.
Chef Steff’s Note: a sprinkle of Reggiano tastes great on top too.