Here is a great vegetarian recipe for summer! If you are interested in more vegetarian meals and recipes, don’t miss our Vegetarian Cooking Class with Chef Steffani Adaska on October 26th.
Summer Wheat Berry Salad
By Chef Steffani Adaska
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 2 large, fresh tomatoes, cored, small dice
- 1 red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 English Cucumber, small dice
- 3 stalks celery, small dice
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 3 Tbsp Aged Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ Cup crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1/3 cup, Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, stemmed, rough chopped
- ¼ cup, mint leaves, rough chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the wheat berries according to the directions on the package. Drain them in a colander and allow to cool just a bit.
- Mix together all of the chopped vegetables in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, zest and vinegar to make a dressing.
- Add the wheat berries to the vegetables, and stir in the dressing.
- Add Feta, parsley and mint. Season with salt & pepper.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.